The Necessity of Freelancing
(Especially for an In-Houser)...
It’s always made me feel kinda special that graphic design is one of the handful of professions that allows us to make regular money as freelancers—whether full- or part-time. Even doing it on the side, there’s a feeling of freedom associated with not having to depend on a single, primary source of income for one’s livelihood.
Actually, life for most designers necessitates the ability to freelance, on some level. Either for the extra money, as a creative outlet, or to achieve some other career-related or personal goal. But especially, it seems, for those of us employed in the small-business or corporate sectors.
For me, freelancing is all of those things: The freedom and responsibility of being ‘my own business’; projects that offer a refreshing diversion from the norm; the chance to stay connected with my colleagues; and a little pocket change, to boot. In fact, despite that I rarely find time to market my design services beyond the webfolio—or ever have more than one job going at a time—I get enough sidework through colleagues and business associates that it's become a second source of income that I couldn't do without.
Through freelancing—as well as other endeavors—the world of an in-houser can actually be much broader than simply the company where he/she works each day. Which is great for a number of potential ‘occupational hazards’ associated with working in a cramped, florescent-lit cube all day, alone in a sea of nothing but stressed-out non-creatives as far as the eye can see. (A designer's manifestation of the Matrix.)
So a portion of this blog, as well as the upcoming website, will be dedicated to freelance design and those who do it—both as 'sidework' and as a full-time business. I look forward to sharing my experiences and views, and I welcome you all to do the same. Stay tuned...



No comments:
Post a Comment