Happy New Year from the Grif!
Hey fellow in-housers...
Sorry it's been months since my last post here. But a lot's happened since June. I don't suspect that many of you actually read these quite wordy entries of mine, but just in case anyone wants to know:
I'm working a new job now as a Web Designer—something I've never been before! (I'd done a handful of websites in the past, but this is the first time anyone's paid me a salary just to spit out JPEGs and GIFs all day.) As opposed to my last job working for a small outfit who tried hard to run a corporate-like environment, this is the real deal. Catherines, a clothing retailer with over 400 stores, is owned by the same conglomerate who runs Lane Bryant.
But enough gloating. This actually speaks to the career in-houser's need to stay as versatile and sharp as possible in his/her skillset and knowledge base. Though I've been largely a print-oriented designer for most of my career, I've worked hard to develop basic web design skills, as well as rudimentary knowledge in areas such as database design and Applescripting.
In the middle of a yearlong jobhunt, I just happened to be in the right place when this great opportunity came along. Now, after having pulled off successful stints in publishing and information design, I can add web design to the repertoire. You see, the more skills and experience you're able to build and accumulate, the better you can market your career and stay viable in this rough job market.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be able to settle into a job that you enjoy and feel comfortable in. (So far, I'm quite happy at Catherines.) But one thing I've discovered in my in-house design career is that, as the years go by, you have to evolve—keep it fresh—in order to stay competitive. So never let a job lull you out of being vigilant and proactive in managing your valuable career.
To some, I know this kind of talk sounds a bit Gordon Gecko-ish. But in today's corporate environment, it's a necessary outlook to have—or at least to consider. At the end of the day, active and savvy management of your career determines how long you'll be able to depend on in-house design for your livelihood.
(Yes, you can quote that!)
I will be reporting more on my eye-opening jobhunting experience in the coming weeks. Until then, I sincerely hope that 2007 brings much fortune and fulfillment to everyone!
Regards—grif



No comments:
Post a Comment