The "Bizarro Terry" Incident...
I just read a post on Web Worker Daily about maintaining and protecting one's "personal brand" online. The main question posed in the article was: If someone did a random Google search on your name, what would they find? Would it all represent your image accurately and in the best light?
I was inspired to respond with an amusing little story of an incident that happened to me a few years ago, regarding my portfolio website terrygriffindesign.com, and another creative professional named "Terry Griffin" . . .
Once a few years ago, my boss discovered—from a coworker whom I'd trusted with the information—that I maintain my own website. So in his curiosity, the first place he went—mistakenly so—was to "terrygriffin.com," which turned out to be the portfolio site of "Terry Griffin" the illustrator!
Anyhow, I was upset with my coworker for having blabbed my personal business to the boss. But there was good and bad that came of it...
Because my curious boss had gone to the wrong website, still thinking it was me—and no one ever told him my real URL—he never found out about my freelancing. (Not that I was trying to hide it—but different employers react differently to knowing their people have lives outside of work!)
I was more than happy to let the boss go on, obliviously thinking that terrygriffin.com was actually me. (Great decoy!) The only problem was, this dude's portfolio SUCKED!
Some years later, I would discover that bizarro Terry had disbanded his website and the domain name had become available! So these days, I also own "terrygriffin.com."
For now, it just redirects you to terrygriffindesign.com...and that may be all it ever does. But so help me, as long as I remain Terry Griffin, no one else will ever again go to terrygriffin.com and see someone's work besides mine! Which goes to my point:
The gist of the WWD article was that, in all the various ways we represent and market ourselves online these days—articles, blog entries, online resumes, portfolio websites, etc.—we need to make sure it's all working to build a positive, accurate, intended brand image for us. It ain't always easy, but among other things, I try to stay conscious of:
- Keeping the online portfolio and resume fresh, as well as my LinkedIn profile.
- Making sure my personal blog stays private, and that my professional blog (The InHouser) doesn't embarrass me too much!
- Doing an occasional Google search on my name, just to see what comes up...
I guess one can say I was lucky with my boss. But these days, more so than ever, one bizarro incident online can wreck a career!
(Note: I'm sure Terry Griffin the illustrator is a very cool guy—and probably a lot more upstanding than me! This article is in no way meant to slander his good name; and if we ever meet, I'm sure our encounter will be just as ironic and humorous as the one above...)



No comments:
Post a Comment