Monday, October 15, 2007

Today is Blog Action Day!

I feel as though I'm coming kinda late to this party, but I'm glad to participate, nonetheless! Blog Action Day, put on by the great folks over at FreelanceSwitch.com—a really cool blog/site for designers who freelance—is all about the Environment. Bloggers from all over (and not just designers) are encouraged to blog anything about the environment on this day—and so this is my off-topic contribution to the cause!

At the moment, the one environment-related issue that comes to the forefront of my mind is smoking. Probably because I used to work for a legal services company whose specialty was tobacco litigation. (At least back in the days when that was still trendy and profitable for lawyers to chase after!)

I worked on plenty of cases where a big-name tobacco company was being sued, either class-action style or by an individual who'd smoked all their life and now had cancer. And even though it was always interesting to watch these cases unfold, I never saw one brought against Big Tobacco related to smoking's effects on the Environment.

Personally, I don't allow smoking in my own house or car. Not that I look on smokers as inconsiderate cads or whatever. (In that case, I wouldn't like my mom very much!) But it would be interesting to know just what kind of effect smoking has had on the Environment...

—Terry

No comments: